Thursday, November 13, 2008

Random thoughts on Thursday Evening, November 13, 2008

Had a good response (fairly good) from the "random thoughts" deal last week, so let's go again:
  • Do you enjoy getting up early and staying up until 9:00 PM, or do you like to get up at the crack of noon and stay up until all hours?
  • Ever notice how many friends you make in the checkout line if you don't mind making eye contact?
  • Facebook's a time-waster, but I've found some good (old) friends from high school and college.
  • I'm going to teach an online course (Music Appreciation) for Weatherford College this fall. I'm learning how to get around in the "classroom" now. It's called Moodle (an acronym for something) and it's kind of hard to figger. Anyone know about this?
  • Listening to Jo play the piano is a "feel-good." She's in the studio. I'm in my office. Good times.
  • I have software to make digital recordings now. Should be a fun thing and maybe it will generate a buck or two.
  • Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many close friendships we maintain from birth to high school graduation and compare that number to the number of friendships we develop and maintain after high school graduation?
  • How does everyone feel about the election results? Do you feel okay about the results? Are you nervous?
  • How 'bout them Raiders? They're smokin' hot. No fluke here. They're the real McCoy. Can't wait to see them win it all. We've all been waiting for a long time to see them do this well.
  • Heard from Jacob Trevino. He thinks maybe the price of gasoline and the uneasy feeling regarding the economy might have contributed to the "fair" attendance at the recent LHS reunion. What say ye-all?
  • My uncle (Bug Dycus) and his family (Sarah and Diane) came by a couple of days ago on their way to South Texas to work on some property Diane owns. We talked about family friends (Paula Phillips James and others) in a way that sounds like / feels like the way one would talk about relatives. I wonder if everyone grows up with blessings like that. How about other parts of the country? Probably. Blessing. Pure and simple.
  • I work part-time at the funeral home. I've had a lot of opportunity to minister to family members who don't have much of a view of life and death and eternity.
  • Does anyone remember the name of the school administrator whose funeral was in the school auditorium in the late 50's? Seems like it was "Whitehouse" or something like that ("Newhouse??").
  • Does anyone remember Willie Wiliams? When I think, as an adult, of returning WWII veterans, I think of Willie Williams. He was a "man's man," a good coach, and a mentor for young guys like my brother, Joe, Mus McMillan, the Robertson twins, and others. As a child, I was awed by this man.
  • Speaking of coaches, where is Ed Ray Mitchell?
  • When was the last time you saw a donkey basketball game? Those were fun.
  • If you could name someone in your Lorenzo school experience who reminds you of a television or movie character, who would it be? I can think of someone who reminds me of Fonzie. How about you?
  • Is there something about the early life of some of our friends that gives a hint regarding the future careers of some of our old friends? For example: Roy Swetnam had a cool motorcycle. He liked speed. He could make it go fast and loud. He had a career as a trooper in charge of everything that flies for the Texas Department of Public Safety (if I remember correctly). Gloria Gray Humphreys had the characteristics of a teacher even when she was a teenager. She was a great teacher in Sudan for years. I always knew that Coy Keene would be doing something with investments.
  • What are some of the surprises for you? "Who would have ever thought that __________ would have ever turned out to be a ______________?"

Must go for now. Post your responses.

11 Comments:

Blogger Doyle Bartlett said...

The Whites Auto Store was owned
by "Hack" Stevens. We lived next door to him on Van Buren. When I was 12 or 13 I stole something from his store and "Doll" my mother found it that night and made me go next door right then
and return it to Mr. Stevens. I was so humiliated that I didn't steal again. That is if you don't count hubcaps or one way street signs. Right Ricky?
Doyle Bartlett

9:25 PM  
Blogger Nan Jenkins said...

Well, I need to type this again, I guess since I didn't have an account!

Mr. Newhouse was the high school principal who taught our algebra II class. He had a massive heart attack and died toward the end of the first semester in 1959 or 60. I think he was only there one semester. He was a very nice man. I got to know him some since I rode to Lions Club with him, where I played the piano.

The algebra class was a disaster. I don't know if others learned anything or not, but I didn't. Mr. Cherry took over the class. I truly flunked it, but Mr. Cherry let us take the final over, and he gave me a C. I begged for another C in College algebra, and promised never to take another math class.It's a promise I have kept through all these years!!! I still can only add, subtract, multiply and divide--on a good day, anyway.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Nan Jenkins said...

Gerre, I think Ed Ray Mitchell died. I read that somewhere or heard it at the last reunion I went to. Ed RAy came to our 20th reunion. It was good to see him. He married and had a son. It seemed that he was a happy man. I think it isn't too much to say that he was my class's favorite teacher. We had him for six years since he graduated with us from jr-hi to high school.

As to your last question with the fill in the blanks:
I said this the last time I sat in Max's office in the bank. "Whoever would have thought that you (Max) would be the president of the bank and I'd be a minister!" From the look on his face, I suspect the presidency was his plan. BUt ministry sure wasn't mine! BTW, I retire the end of January. I'll be very happy about that,although, there will be some sadness also.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Paula Phillips James said...

Wonderful!!! Some more blog!!! I'm always afraid of being a blog hog, so I lay low 'til someone opens it up. I don't have much time so, I wanted to get in who I thought of as "The Fonz". GLENN COULTER....slicked back hair, leather jacket, cool attitude, and even his walk. I think a lot of girls had a crush on him, too, but I never saw him snap his fingers to call them over. Glenn was quiet, but kind like his mom and dad.My mom and dad use to play cards with Edith and Earl. Love them!!! I have made some friends since high school,there is only one who really compares to any of the oldies. She has met my high school friends and fits in quite well. Doyle, your mom was such a saintly woman. Shame on you!!! Ha! Back then, in our little town, kids were nurtured AND forgiven by other sweet parents. Thank the Lord again for Lorenzo. I didn't know Mr. ______house. I hate about Ed Ray. I would have loved to have seen him again. Remember when Mr. Harmon made us start calling him Mr./Coach Mitchell instead of Ed Ray? He just seemed so much like one of us. I guess because he was an LHS grad himself. Yet we had a lot of respect for him.

Gerre, thanks for the sweet things you write. I know how soothing it is to have someone play the piano in the background. You are blessed. I really want to meet that wife of yours someday. Good luck with the digital music whatever (not familiar with that piece of techno....part of my technologically challenged syndrome).

Well, I said I only had a short amount of time. You all just need to hope that I never have a lot of time,huh? Ha! Hi Doyle and hi Nan. I have to think on the last queston with the blanks. Bye!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Gerre Joiner said...

When I was thinking of Fonzie, I was thinking of Randy Cypert. Hadn't thought of Glen Coulter in a long time. I think he's a better fit for Fonzie than Randy. Nan, congratulations! I hope you'll come to central Texas and see us in Decatur. We have a room with your name on it. It's called the "special guest" room. Doyle: Do you remember what Hack Stevens' store smelled like? I think it smelled like new inner tubes. What do you think?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Paula Phillips James said...

Maybe Randy could be Chachi!!!

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nan, I thought I was the only one that came out of Algebra at "good ole" LHS with no idea what they were talking about. When I went to Tech I failed Algebra twice (because I had no foundation in it) and then I made a D in modern math. I started my Senior year in AG. Eco. but then I dropped out of school (because at the rate I was going I would have to have 200 hours to graduate - had a 1.65) and joined the Navy. After my tour was up I returned to Tech and I was in Mr. Hong Yong Lee's class in Senior AG. Eco. One day Mr. Lee was trying to explain some eco. theory and asking questions, but no one could answer correctly, when he threw down his caulk and turned around and said "you people are stupid, you do not know andything about math I am stopping this class right now and for the next two weeks we are start with basic math and go thru Algabra etc," And he did just that. He went at a fairly fast clip and all of a sudden that "lightbulb" going off you see in cartoons. Well I saw that "lightbulb" as clear as day. The next semester I took Algebra I and made an A without taking a book home. The next semester I took Sophmore Algebra and made and A again. You know they say there is alway one teacher that stands above the rest for each student, well Hong Yong Lee was that teacher for me. I consider math to be my strong suit and its all because a teacher had the courage to tell me I was stupid and have the knowledge to show me the way out.
By the way after the service I was on the Dean's list and graduated with a 2.4, just took me longer than most to grow up.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Walter Brown said...

Ed Ray Mitchell passed away about four years ago. Ed was one of my dearest friends. He moved to Lorenzo in the mid forties when his father was named city secretary.His long coaching career began here in Lorenzo,followed my Evant,Poteet,Belton where he coached with"Willie"Williams, then his final move to Dawson,a small school near Waco. Not only did he coach but he served as high school principal,taught Spanish and took other jobs that were necessary. Ed was married for a few years and had a son Curtis who gave him two granddaughters that he worshiped.The people of Dawson loved Ed and the football field was renamed "Mitchell Field" in his honor. Ed was thrilled as was his family.When Ed died Pat and I attended his funeral and it was held at "Mitchell Field". The service lasted two hours as students,friends and fellow teachers shared how much he meant to each of them.I will always cherish his memory and I'm honored to have been one of his friends.

Walter Brown
Class of '54

10:11 PM  
Blogger Gerre Joiner said...

Thanks, Walter, for your great comments on Ed Ray. He was a good friend of my sister, Carol. I'm wondering if she knows all these things about Ed's career and how he was esteemed. I'll call her in Burleson and let her know. Another feature of Ed Ray's life was this: He was an overcomer. Polio (I think the cause was polio) left him with limited use of one of his arms. It was not a handicap for Coach Mitchell.

We all just learned one of the great benefits of this little blog. My life is bigger and better because Walter spent a little time to write about Ed Mitchell. Thanks again, Walter.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walter, when did Ed leave Lorenzo? I was at Schreiner in Kerrville my last 2 years in high school and I believe he was still there my last year in fall of 59. The thing I remember about coach was the paddle he carried around in his left hand at the gym.
I remember one time when we had to go to the projection room (for one of those famous education flicks) right outside the cafeteria. Well Ed Bradshaw, Tommy Carter and myself ran ahead of the rest, poped into the cafeteria and grabed a biscuit each. When Coach came into the room the called our names and said we would get 3 licks at the end of class for our little stunt. Tommy was called first, he got three wacks that were pretty hard. Well, I was next and out of self preservation I had borrowed a second bilfold before I went up. The first lick was pretty hard, but I guess before the second one he saw the 2 bilfolds. Anyway, with the second lick he lifted me off the floor and broke the oak paddle over my rear end. What really ticked me off was Ed never did get his licks because Coach had forgotten about it by the time he had a new paddle made.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Walter Brown said...

Doyle,it seems Ed Rays last year in Lorenzo was 1962. Carlton Smith followed Ed.Gerre's comments about Ed having polio were correct. When we were together in elementary one of his favorite tricks was to take his good right arm and slap you across the head with his left arm. It got the same results as that paddle Doyle was talking about. His handicap was never a problem for Ed Ray. In all the years I knew Ed he never used it as an excuse. He loved life and lived it to the fullest.
Walter Brown

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home