Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Update on Bill Phillips

Got permission from Bill to post this update on his "doin's" for the past 40 years. Here it is:
Gerre:  
I live in Bay City which is 75 miles southwest of Houston and only 50 from Paula.  I've been here since graduating from now Texas State in 1972.  Started farming here in 74 after spending a couple of years working for one of the more aggressive farmers here first.  Quit farming in '79 and went to work for Phillips Petroleum where I worked for 23 years and left there in 2003 after being offered a package to retire early.  Have worked some part time jobs since but basicly doing what I want to. I married a Bay City girl in 1970 and we have since divorced (1983) and I have never remarried.  I always felt once you marry you stay married.  We have three children oldest being a wonderful son.  Tommy 37 and his wife Susan live here in Bay City and he works for STP Nuclear Plant and she teaches school here.  They have two sons Zachary 12 and Joshua 11 (the Phillips' name is secure for another generation).  Two beautiful daughters.  Aaron 35 is single and lives in Katy area around Houston.  She works for Valassic Advertising who are the good folks who mail us all our junk mail for Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Chiles etc.  She isn't married because she insists that when a guy comes along he will he will have to ask me first, quite old fashion but she is sticking to it. Susan 32 and her husband Jason live in New Waverly which is about thirty minutes north of Houston off of I 45.  They have one daughter Avery 5 who is just a little sweetheart, not predjudist or any thing.  Susan works for the same company Aaron works for and Aaron is her boss.  I don't know how but it works for them.  Their boss asked me one time if I had any more daughters, if so he would certainly hire them which took as apretty good complement.  Jason and some of his family own an equipment rental business in north Houston and he is the one who calls on customers for there rental business.  He is a real articulate guy and I am proud to have him in our family.  Their last name is Tafelski one of those good ole Polish names and the sausage is wonderful.  Over the years I have worked hard to make Matagorda county my home and I love it here.  I have been active in a lot of organizations here:  Coached Little League baseball, served two terms on the city council here (population 18,000) which enjoyed very much, President of the Gulf Coast Shrine club and other offices in the organization, and at the present time I am president of the Matagorda County Womens Crisis Center board of directors.  The last has been a rewarding as well as a very humbling experience, especially when small children are involved.  Gerre, not to sing to the choir, pun intended hee hee, but you and I know the roots we established being raised in such a wonderful community like Lorenzo is what has made us want be a part of the communities we call our homes.  These organizations we involve ourselves in are not agenda motivated but are motivated by caring for the people who reside in our communities who have become good friends through well established relationships.  I know from reading alot from the blog and in talking to Paula you and your family have made  huge contributions to several groups and organizations as well and for this I commend you.  On another note I really appreciated you sharing the graveside service for Lady Bird.  It is so rewarding to have known a guy like Johnny Ray.  In school he was an awesome classmate, a true gentleman and one of my favorite people.  We all used to sing on the bus going to basketball games and such.  That choir we had was just awesome also and the things we learned by that experience are just countless,  from the music we sang to the different cultures this music was derived from opened ours mines to see things in different ways than just the common  norm.  Well, I could just go on and on and on until I might run out of gigabyes so I better close and wish you well.    Thanks for the time to share this with you.    Gerre, sorry but I just thought of something I know you like to know if you don't already.  In the late sixties or early seventies your brother Max was the county agent here.  He left just before I arrived but in talking to people here a man named Frankie Harrison found that I was from Lorenzo and asked me if I knew Max to which I answered yes.  I told Frankie that Max had since moved back and was in banking there. Frankie who was probably close to our dads' ages spoke very highly of Max and ironically they both passed away within just a few months of each other and have probably had a lot of time to talk about there time together here.  Just had to share!!!!!!!!!     Bill



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home