Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday afternoon thoughts:

Kind of a slow Saturday afternoon and noticed that the blog hadn't been messed with for a while. Here goes:
  • Kasi called today needing directions to Mother's place here in Decatur. One of Kasi's girls had played a basketball game near here and Kasi took the opportunity to see her G'mommy. They live nearby (30 minutes from Decatur) and are enjoying a new house.
  • Mother's thinking is getting fuzzy.
  • I rankle when someone advertises a "home for sale." I believe that the people who live in the house constitute the "home." The "house" is the sticks and bricks. That's just me.
  • Every one of my siblings took English from Ethel Pyles. Didn't hurt us a bit. One could probably use the term "master teacher" to describe Mrs. Pyles.
  • Just talked to Robert (Bob) Young in San Antonio. Bob is the son of my aunt Nydia (Daddy's sister...Vera). The older I get, the more I appreciate old family/friend relationships that have stood the test of time and space. Bob, forward this to your 3 kids. and maybe they'll send me their email addresses.
  • Do you think there'll be a day when almost nobody has a "land-line" telephone? Our two grown children and their families don't have a "house phone" between them. They only use their cell phones which will do everything communication-wise worth doing on the planet. They can send/check email, become "triangulated" on the planet, browse the internet, and send/receive text messages...all while sitting in the bathroom....in any city that has access to a tower. Life is good.
  • A new Lewisville friend who grew up in Ralls recently went through Lorenzo, retrieved 2 saddles that have been stored in our barn for 30 years, and brought them to me. Don't know what I'll do with them, but I didn't want them to just "disappear."
  • What did we do before liquid soap? Remember going in to a public restroom and washing your hands before there was "squirt soap?" I don't remember.
  • I've recently added some "friends" with Lorenzo ties to my Facebook account. A lot of them are young adults who grew up in Lorenzo, or are the children of Lorenzo friends. Facebook makes the connection sends me a notification, and then it's up to me to send a "friend request," hoping they won't think I'm an old coot when I write, "Tell your folks Gerre says howdy." Some of my Facebook friends are old coots like me.
  • I've heard of the editor/owner of the Crosbyton (Ralls?) paper many years ago, whose last name was Joiner. I know there was a controversy of some sort. What was the big deal? What became of this Joiner guy?

Must go. Hope all is well where you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home