Thursday, February 12, 2009

Random Thoughts on Thursday Evening, February 12, 2008

I wrote and got permission from Gloria Gray Humphreys to put this sweet note on the blog. Read and enjoy. I'd be proud to post any grandbaby story that you deem worthy to send to me. So send 'em!!

My granddaughter, Bryn, and her mom, Donice, were having a discussion.

Bryn asked, "Are we out of money because the market crashed?" (She is five, by the way.)

Her mom responded, "No, not out of money. We are just trying to be careful and make every dollar count so that we can take good care of our family for a long time so you don't need to worry. But if you ever do start worrying just remember that God takes care of the puppies, kitties, bunnies, horses, cows and all of the other animals. He does a really good job taking care of them, too. If he takes such good care of them, He will surely take good care of us."

Bryn looked thoughtful and then asked, "He's our Father, isn't He?"

Donice said, "Yes, our Heavenly Father."

Bryn asked, "Then does that make Jesus our Heavenly Brother?"

Gloria Humphreys
P. O. Box 2352
Brownwood, TX 76804

Regarding other "random thoughts":
  • We Joiners are enthralled with Facebook! We've found friends from all over whom we've met in the last 40 years. Finding old coaches, long-lost friends, long-lost relatives, friends-of-friends, and children of friends has been like an Easter egg hunt. If you're not on Facebook, give it a look-see.
  • Julie and Clint welcomed Caleb Lee Hammer into the world two weeks ago. God is good.
  • I just finished talking to Mother on the phone for over an hour. We talked and talked about things and people and events from many years ago. Her memory of those things is much better than mine. We talked about the houses in which people lived (she gave directions to the place). We talked about who is buried where in the Lorenzo cemetery (she knows who is buried where). We talked about long-gone relatives whose names and stories, to me, have become jumbled. Not to her. She knows and she knows she knows. I asked her if she remembered being in the hospital a few weeks ago. She doesn't remember. I've decided to guide our future conversations to areas in which she excels. I asked her if she gets frustrated when she can't remember. She said, "Yes." I decided then to steer future conversations toward her early years in Oklahoma, her relatives in East Texas, the family reunions in Naples, and other areas in which her memory is still dependable.
  • We have way too many photos of our new Caleb. You'll probably get bored before seeing them all, but see what you think of this young American when you click here.
  • Jo doesn't like my bandanas. I have a lot of white handkerchiefs and carry them most of the time when I'm wearing a suit. But when I'm wearing boots and jeans, a bandana seems to fit the bill. I don't think I've ever been in a situation requiring a clean rag that couldn't be met by a red (or blue) bandana.
  • I went to Wal-Mart this afternoon. Came home with a surprise for Jo. I bought a Wal-Mart pizza. I won't do that again! I've decided that buying chicken at Wal-Mart is safer than buying pizza at Wal-Mart.
  • I have Wise County friends whose new passion is hunting/trapping feral hogs. Haven't wondered until today: Are there any feral hogs in the Lorenzo area? I'm guessing not.

Need to go for now. Hope all is well where you are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nita N said...

Hey- Gerre! I love your comments and the wonderful Lorenzo Blog. I have been remiss myself in posting anything for a good while and miss not hearing from friends. Sometimes Email just isn't enough!

Congratulations on your new grandson. I know he is a blessing! I have three wonderful grandchildren myself and I love being Gram. Of course their favorite place to go is my home, and I make sure they get good and spoiled before they go back home!

About the feral hogs: I don't know if there are any in Lorenzo, but I live at Lake Kemp in Seymour, and there are thousands down here! I am not exaggerating. Not long ago Waggnor Ranch folks sent one of their helicopters out and killed over 1200 feral hogs on their ranch land from the air. They are destroying so much farm and ranch land down here and have become a real problem.

About Bill Phillips:
I certainly enjoyed Bill's bio and I know many of our Lorenzo friends will like knowing what's happened with Bill. Back in January, per invitation of Bill's kids, Sharon (Liston) Doss, Kent Morrison(who now lives in Idaho),Tony Mendoza and myself met in Bay City and surprised Bill for his 60th Birthday. It was so much fun and Bill was totally taken by surprise. His kids are really wonderful and were so glad we all came. Sharon and I had not seen Bill in about 20 or so years, and Kent and Tony had not seen him for about 30 years. It was a great time. We all parted company promising to stay in touch more often and to meet again at the 2011 reunion.

Every one who is anyone has a bandana. . .

I would like to add one more item to my comments. If it makes anyone any difference, I do deeply apologize for my delays in keeping the Ex-Hornet web site updated. I know we all understand how busy life can be. Also, I don't have a lot to put on there in the "off" reunion season. I have thought about adding a page for letters, notes and comments, but since we have this wonderful blog, I have to ask what purpose that would serve.
I would like your (or anyone eles's) thoughts on this.

Well, my dear friend, that's my "blog" for now. Please don't stop Lorenzo blogging - we all depend on you to "hold us together". God Bless.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home