Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saturday morning thoughts, February 21, 2009...Blake and Jean

Yesterday:
What a great day! I received a piece of email from Gary and Susie (Chastain) Hancock in Lorenzo. I noticed they had sent it to "Blake and Jean." I did a little work and got re-connected with old friends Blake and Jean (House) Wilson. They lived in Victoria for years where Blake built a really successful career in insurance sales and management. Jean was one of the busiest and most effective church musicians in Victoria. They've retired now and are living near Tyler. The Wilsons came through Decatur yesterday on their way to Wichita Falls. Jean is accompanying (piano) their 13 year old grandson this morning as he plays a cello solo for UIL competition. We sat in a downtown restaurant and visited. I sang for their wedding when I was 12 or 13 (I think) and have visited once in all those years. What a blessing to find these old friends!

We were in the restaurant catching up when a Decatur friend of mine with Lorenzo roots came in. Wayne Alexander, a retired dairyman, lived in Lorenzo when he was a child. He still remembers a lot of names and still treasures his old friendship with Walter Brown.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gerre Joiner said...

What a surprise. Pat and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in September, and the kids took an 8 mm film of the wedding to KK's and had it made into a cd and Jean played the organ for our wedding and was in the video. Mary and I wondered where she was. Mary and Marilyn (Schoepf) Paschall had been in touch with her several years ago, but had lost her location. I will let Mary know your news. Hope all is well there. All good here. Joni has been out of school last three days with some sort of viral thing. Very high fever, but as of seven last evening, her fever has broken. Roger's wife had a stomach virus Mon night until Thursday, so I have had two babies to care for this week (Joni is seventeen) and that shows on an old gal. Fun though. Tell everyone hello and give Nell my love and hugs. Love you all, Joan Fisher Yoakum

3:26 PM  
Blogger Jacob said...

Gerre. Nothing related to your post, but did you ever find out why my picture disappeared from the site? I manage a site myself and that never happens to my site.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gerre,

So good to read that many of my classmates from the 50s are available to write. I knew where most of them were located. Back several years ago the class of 1959 began writing to each other in Classmates. That was enjoyable. I will probably never retire. I worry about getting old. I love working with AISD. My husband retired 20 years ago and enjoys his freedom. We have one daughter. She is a professional photographer with a wonderful husband and two special boys. Both boys are in a dual-language program in Kyle elementary. Really proud of them. I also have a beautiful granddaughter who is trying to find her way in life.

Hope to continue reading about my hometown.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home